Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology have exploded in popularity over the last few years. As more people become interested in this emerging field, the demand for educational resources has skyrocketed. There are now hundreds of crypto books on the market, but sifting through them to find the real gems can be a challenge.
This article highlights six of the best books on crypto – the top-rated and most insightful crypto books that you should consider reading in 2024. Whether you’re a total beginner or a seasoned expert, these books on crypto offer valuable knowledge that can help you better understand cryptocurrency and blockchain technology.
Best Crypto Books to Read in 2024
1. The Bitcoin Standard by Saifedean Ammous
This book provides a deep dive into the economic principles and theory behind Bitcoin. Author Saifedean Ammous makes a compelling argument for why he believes Bitcoin could replace gold as the global standard of value storage and exchange.
Some key insights from the book:
- Detailed history of monetary standards throughout history
- Explanation of how Bitcoin achieves true scarcity and decentralized consensus
- The anticipated impact of hyper-bitcoinization on society
If you want to truly understand the economic case for Bitcoin, The Bitcoin Standard is essential reading. The scholarly and rigorous analysis gives credence to the idea of Bitcoin as digital gold.
2. Mastering Bitcoin by Andreas Antonopoulos
For a technical look under the hood of Bitcoin and blockchain technology, Andreas Antonopoulos’s Mastering Bitcoin is the definitive guide. This book illuminates the technical foundations of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
Some key topics covered:
- How Bitcoin mining and consensus works
- Scripting, wallets, and network communications
- Advancing Bitcoin technologies like Lightning Network
- Programming blockchains with Bitcoin-based altcoins
Antonopoulos comprehensively translates the technical aspects of Bitcoin into easily understandable concepts. Any software developer or engineer working in blockchain should have this book in their library. Mastering Bitcoin is one of the most practically informative crypto books available.
3. The Infinite Machine by Camila Russo
For an engaging insider’s look into the history of one of the most influential crypto projects – Ethereum – Camila Russo’s The Infinite Machine is a must-read. Russo tells the story of Ethereum’s ragtag group of founders – including the prodigy Vitalik Buterin – and how they sought to improve on Bitcoin’s shortcomings.
Some highlights from the book:
- First-hand accounts of early Ethereum meetings and conversations
- The ideation process behind smart contract functionality
- Debates and conflict between founders about governance decisions
This page-turning history of Ethereum reads like a novel chronicling genius and drama. Anyone interested in Ethereum or ambitious startup founders can learn from The Infinite Machine.
4. Blockchain Revolution by Don Tapscott and Alex Tapscott
While many crypto books focus narrowly on specific coins or technologies, Blockchain Revolution analyzes how this technology will broadly transform society. Authors Don and Alex Tapscott explain why blockchain is a second era of the digital age – the Internet of value.
Some groundbreaking potential applications highlighted:
- Greater financial inclusion for the poor with digital IDs
- Supply chain tracking to reduce fraud, waste and cost
- Democracy promotion through transparent voting systems
- Smart cities optimized through data insights
The Tapscotts’ provide a macro perspective on how blockchain can remake critical institutions to be more open, democratic and efficient. This book frames the societal importance of embracing this technology.
5. Cryptoassets by Chris Burniske and Jack Tatar
For those interested specifically in crypto investing, Chris Burniske and Jack Tatar’s Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor’s Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond offers practical guidance. As two experts with Wall Street pedigrees, their insights can help market participants safely navigate this volatile asset class.
Some examples of their advice:
- Explanations of different cryptoasset categories like cryptocurrencies, utility tokens, and security tokens
- Methods for fundamental valuation analysis of projects
- Portfolio allocation strategies based on risk profiles and investment goals
- Regulatory compliance considerations
Even if not actively trading crypto, this book can help readers understand market dynamics and risks from an investor’s perspective.
6. The Business Blockchain by William Mougayar
Looking at blockchain adoption by mainstream businesses, William Mougayar’s The Business Blockchain: Promise, Practice, and Application of the Next Internet Technology unpacks how corporations and startups can leverage distributed ledger technology.
Key questions answered:
- What types of business models and processes stand to be disrupted?
- What benefits can blockchain offer companies? (efficiency, security, etc.)
- What are the practical steps toward integrating this technology?
- What are the regulatory and operational challenges ahead?
Mougayar contextualizes the promises offered by blockchain, tempered by the realities businesses face in application. Rather than abstract theory, this book offers practical utility.
These six books represent some of the most valuable crypto content available for readers who want to expand their knowledge horizons in 2024. Whether focused on economics, technology, business applications, regulation or investing, these books offer rare insights from some of the leading minds in the world of blockchain and digital assets.
Happy reading! The innovative ideas and opportunities presented in these pages await. 2024 promises to be a year in which the crypto ecosystem grows exponentially, and knowledge will be a key driver of progress. Use these books to prepare and position yourself at crypto’s expanding frontier.
Sam Norton is an experienced cryptocurrency investor and advocate who contributes his market insights to the Alfcoin community. As someone who first bought Bitcoin back in 2015, Sam has witnessed the explosive growth of the crypto market firsthand over the past several years.
He is particularly passionate about the disruptive potential of blockchain technology and how it can revolutionize finance, business, government, and beyond. Besides trading and holding major cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, Sam also closely tracks emerging altcoins and DeFi projects in search of promising investment opportunities.